Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Interior Design File: Hand Rendering vs. Computer Rendering

As an interior design student nearing the end of my degree I try to be versatile in my skills. Many would say that everything digital is all that everyone is using now a days and that you need to master Photoshop, CAD, Revit, Kerkythea, Sketchup,...and the list goes on and on. This is true however, only half true. Designers that I have spoken to still want their potential employees/interns to hand render and draft.
The art of hand rendering and drafting is a skill that I see slowly not being used in classes anymore. However, I believe hand rendering is a beautiful art that I wish I could master. There are some amazing hand renders in the design community that I only wish I could duplicate. Hand rendering to me is more personal, it is your hand expressing emotion in the color, in the texture, in the light.
Computer rendering though, is really fast and helps when projects in school need to be finished quickly. Also, they look really cool and impressive. Some work my other classmates have done are just fabulous! Plus, patterns are easier to apply because you can copy an image and place it into the upholstery of a sofa for instance.
Both these skills are essential to our work and help us explain our ideas to our clients and others. Which do you think is better? Hand or computer or both?

Poconos Dorm: Computer rendering for Residential 2 class using Photoshop (By: myself)

Poconos Dorm: Computer perspective for Residential 2 class using Sketchup (By: myself)

Poconos Dorm: Hand rendering of common room for dorm (By: myself)

No comments:

Post a Comment